Saturday, March 5, 2011

Early March Update, or lack thereof

It has been too long since I've been to the greenhouse. Starting to worry a bit about the seedlings, as there is no one watching over them. There are all mostly covered, but I've had to water some of them a little, from time to time. Mainly, I've been sick as a dog for the past week. I was starting to feel the onset of a cold late last week, and then last Saturday, we (the fam) headed to Madison, WI, to participate in the workers protests going on there. So I was outside all day, in a steady snow and about 28 degrees. Needless to say, by Sunday morning I was in misery, and continued to be all week, and still am, a little, although I definitely feel much better. To top it off, my wife has temporarily misplaced her swipe-card to get into the greenhouse, so I don't know when I'll get there.
As it is March, temps should finally start trending ever-so-slowly upwards. We're forecasted to get a major snowstorm next week, so winter is definitely gonna be here for awhile yet, but the long-term models show a warming trend is coming. Which means I need to start dividing the stuff that's in my garage. So far, everything still looks alive in there, but I've learned that doesn't mean anything. Every garage-wintered plant I've lost looked fine until I moved it outside, at which point it turned to mush in a matter of days. So I'm hoping that I can move everything outside by early April and have stuff divided a week or two before that. My only fear is losing flowers to frosts, which can occur up through mid/late May, although it's pretty rare to get one after the middle of May.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope you are much better by now.

    ReplyDelete