Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The End of Winter

Well, I finally moved all of my plants back outside last night. That's always a good feeling. We've been having some real nice weather so far this week, and it looks to continue. I even see some forecasted highs in the 60's this weekend, along with some rain. Can't ask for more than that. It's only April in WI though, so below freezing temps and snow can't be ruled out for another 6 weeks or so, but if/when it does happen, it should be brief. I did notice an S. rubra with a flower bud already starting to emerge. Hopefully that's the first of many. I noticed one of the growth points on a 'Gin Goblin' that is especially swollen, like near golf-ball size, I wonder if that will bloom this year? There are a few plants that have a surface covering of some kind of fungus growing on them, so I will have to watch that. Mostly, it occurs when the garage warms up in the spring, along with the very little light in there. It usually disappears when I move them outside. I did do a lot of dead foliage trimming in early winter, but I can see another round of that is in order. Anyway, looks like some awesome weather this weekend to sit on my back deck and divide some Sarracenia. I just have to get some peat prepared this week for it. At this point, I have no idea what I'll have, but if there's anyone out there looking to trade, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment