Monday, January 24, 2011

Picture Update

Paid a visit to the greenhouse this past weekend and was amazed at what I saw. First, I noticed the first seeds are beginning to sprout. S. oreophila x "Toadmaster" is the first out of the gate:
Sarracenia oreophila x "Toadmaster" - germinating seeds

Second, many of the one year old plants have sent up new growth, even ones that appeared to be dead:
Sarracenia purpurea (Drummond, WI), @ 1 year old.
1 year old Sarracenia seedling, waking up from dormancy
There are definitely many that I'm about to give up on. It seems the ones that suffered most were the second "batch" that sprouted last year. I had basically 2 batches of seeds that were sown. The first batch sprouted around Christmas of 2009, and the second batch sprouted in early spring of 2010. I will definitely be more careful with this year's batch of seedlings.

Third, I noticed a flower on a seed-grown plant, 3 years and 1 month after it germinated. It is an open-pollinated S. oreophila x willisii:
Sarracenia oreophila x 'willisii' - open-pollinated.

Lastly, I noticed a bunch of flowers emerging on some older plants, including many that I purchased at Oudean's Willow Creek Nursery last May, including 'Doreen's Colossus' and 'Tapestry' (what a nice cross that would make):
Sarracenia flower bud emerging
Sarracenia x 'Doreen's Colossus' flower bud emerging

One last shot, of an unknown S. purpurea hybrid that kind of sums up how things are looking in the greenhouse. It shows a new pitcher emerging, as well as some Drosera filiformis waking up, as well as some weedy white violets, that I've given up on trying to eliminate:
Unknown Sarracenia hybrid and Drosera filiformis waking up

No comments:

Post a Comment